About Me

My photo
I am so glad you are here. I am a wife a mother, a grand mother. I love to make old things come back to life. I live in a small town in North Alabama. I'm a dental hygienist for the most wonderful dentist. I am a sinner saved by GRACE.I sing in the choir at my church. I was raised in a conservative home that believed it was a sin to be wasteful, so therefore I am VERY frugal

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Do you want to be Oily or Joyful?

Hello everyone, I hope all is well,

   All my life I've been intrigued by "words".  In my meager attempt to become more spiritual, I've been reading my Bible on a more regular basis. Recently I came across this passage in Hebrews"..And He will anoint you with the Oil of Joy..."  Now, personally I think the Lord has a sense of humor.  Although I take things I read in the Word very serious, I also can get a kick out of some the things that are said.

I anoint myself every morning with  a little Oil of Olay, to help with, guess what, WRINKLES.
 I look like a Shar-Pei dog without make-up. It does NOT cause me any Joy.








When my girls were still at home and we grilled, we would put our white sauce in a Joy dish detergent bottle and squeeze it on our chicken.  It was not unusual to hear at our house, "pass the Joy bottle, please."


When the apostle Paul referred to the Oil of Joy, I don't think he meant it was something we could slap on our faces or even something to squirt on our food.  People in Biblical times knew when they pulled out the oil bottle to inaugurate a king, it was time to party!  Everybody got their glad britches on and enjoyed the festivities. Someone new had been set apart to lead them, somewhat in the same way when we have a new president or governor.  A new day had come.  It's a state of mind.

At my age, every day is not only a new day but a new life when I climb out of bed. I am joyful when I get up my back door steps with no assistance.  I am thrilled to go three days without needing a laxative. I am grateful when I can bend over and tie BOTH of my shoes without needing oxygen. We all need to put forth more effort in realizing how grateful to God we need to be for every good thing in our life. Let's get glad in our britches and enjoy our life. But, unfortunately I still live in the REAL world and I have to do what I have to do.  

If you'll excuse me I need a little Oil of Joy.  With this ache in my back, I may get oily, when it relieves me I will also be Joyful.


Until later,

Love, luck and laughter,
Paula the Hillbilly


No comments:

Popular Posts