About Me

My photo
I am so glad you are here. I am a wife a mother, a grand mother. I love to make old things come back to life. I live in a small town in North Alabama. I'm a dental hygienist for the most wonderful dentist. I am a sinner saved by GRACE.I sing in the choir at my church. I was raised in a conservative home that believed it was a sin to be wasteful, so therefore I am VERY frugal

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Thrifty Ideas from A Real Southern Girl

 Hello everyone,
I am so very proud to be a Southern girl. But you must understand-- that's all I know. So, no disrespect intended to anyone that was not born in the South.  I think you should be proud of wherever you are from. I found this saying on Facebook and copied it because I think it sets the tone for my project ideas to come.

Southern Born and Southern Bred, where summer starts in April, front porches are wide & words are long, we don't have fireflies, we have lightning bugs, macaroni & cheese is a vegetable, pecan pie is a staple, ya'll is a proper pronoun, chicken is fried, & biscuits come with gravy, everything is darling & someone is always getting their heart blessed. ......

Ooh, I'm hungry after reading that.  Whew!  This idea has nothing to do with food, it just came out of a need that we had at the time.  Believe it or not, my husband came up with this. (Men can surprise you sometimes.lol 
  
We were having an awful time with leaves blowing in our shop when the garage door was open. I was constantly sweeping and sweeping. (Now you don't want me to have to do that lol)  Joe, my husband,  borrowed a 2' x 6' board from our stock pile of "stuff", cut two "handles" and this is what he came up with.

                                     The first rule--THINK--The second rule--what do I HAVE!

As you can see it lays in front of the door and it works great. Unless the wind is blowing real hard, the leaves stay on the outside instead of blowing inside the shop.


Check this out.  A friend of mine was taking a load of stuff to the Disabled Veterans Thrift Store. She asked if I wanted to go "shopping" through her junk before she let it go for good.  Of course I said, "Yes."  I found a CD rack.  This is what I did with it.

I organized my acrylic paint according to color and height. It is so much easier now when I get into one of my artsy moods to quickly grab the color I'm looking for.
 
If you'll notice to the left of my new paint holder is our 4' x 6' shop table. The reason it was painted red is because I saved paint from a project where we painted a table for my daughter's third grade classroom.  It certainly came in handy.  I didn't have to spend a penny to go buy more.  That is the whole point.  Use what you have to get what you want if it's at all possible.  Hopefully, you'll have a little more money to buy when you really need to.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Love, luck and laughter,
Paula the Hillbilly




No comments:

Popular Posts